Our Home Away from Home!

Our Home Away from Home!

Thursday, September 27, 2012

New Sweaters, Squirrels, and Deer (of course)

Today we awoke to another soggy morning as it rained again last night. I love the sound on the trailer but I am getting tired of everything being soak and wet. I know I shouldn't be complaining because of the drought but when you are in a forest you want to get outside and the rain makes that 'uncomfortable'.  However, the backpack blowers they have here to blow leaves are so powerful they blow the leaves even when wet. So Art, Kevin, and Karl starting blowing leaves on the main road. I followed along in the park's truck with the flashers on to alert cars that the guys were on the road. They were going along smoothly until Kevin and Karl got into a Yellow Jackets nest. Oh boy!! Kevin was stung once, and Karl got it three times. Time to quit! We came over to our trailer and I got out the Alka Seltzer and wet it to make it bubble, then we put it on the stings. They said it helped immediately, taking away the pain. I gave Kevin liquid Benadryl also because he has ended up in the hospital before when stung due to a reaction.  He did just fine this time, I'm sure the Benadryl helped, getting it into his system fast.  I didn't have the heart to ask the guys if I could take their picture while they were in pain.......so just imagine in your minds two grown men with Alka Seltzers 'bubbling' on their heads. Not funny I know.  We the ate some lunch of left over fried potatoes with scrambled eggs. Mmmm.
Then we drove into Bedford which is approx. 23 miles from here. I wanted to go to Walmart and pick up a memory stick to back up my pictures on.

When we got back to the trailer I just had to get out on the golf cart, the sun was out and I needed a ''deer fix'', I am attached to these guys can you tell??  I went down the Bluegill loop which has a pond on it. The deer frequently drink from it and so I thought I might get lucky. Well I did. This one was coming up over the bank and she looked so cute standing there with only half her body showing and those big ears alert. She just stood there and looked at me while I shot the pictures.

"Hey, have you heard any good gossip lately?''
               In this one you can just barely see the water from the pond at the bottom.


She finally just turned around and walked back down into the woods. Guess I was boring her :) I got this little guy sitting one of my pine cones on my lighted tree by the trailer door. He is a Katydid. It is evident they are around, they light up the night with their songs. "Katy did, Katy did"


So cute he picked the pine cone to sit on, sure shows up doesn't he?
When I was in at Walmart they had just put out a new display of dog sweaters for winter. Effie and Cooper each have one but if they get wet or really dirty they have to be washed. Now since a washer/dryer isn't all that handy now I just 'had' to buy them each a new one so they will have two. They were so excited Effie got a pink camouflage and Cooper's is a black/white/red design.

Don't they look thrilled :)
When I was driving on Bluegill I saw this pop up camper in a site and thought it was neat looking with the colored leaves on the trees. Wouldn't you just love to be them?

Cool how the color on the camper matches the leaves on the tree.

You remember a couple of blogs ago I had a picture of a Persimmon Seed with a spoon on the inside which means lots of snow? I think the squirrels broke one open too, as they are super duper busy gathering nuts. They are everywhere in the park, jumping from tree to tree and the roads are just littered with nut shells where they have dropped them from above. They are hard to capture on film but I did manage to get a couple today.


    
What's that? Oh you want to see one with a face....OK.
 
"Hurry up would ya, I've got nuts to gather!"
I drove down to the lake area, as I haven't been down there since the day we went out on the boat with Al. Wow! The leaves have really started to change down there. These are just gorgeous with the pine trees.



Guess what???? Yep, you're right more deer. I was driving up the trail towards the road and I was talking to our daughter, Lindsay, on the cell phone when I looked to my left and there stood a deer just staring at me. I don't know who was more shocked me or her :)

"Hey, who are you talking to?"
Turned out it was a baby from this year, can you see the mama's tail on the right side of the picture? She went to eat and the little one just stood there for the longest time and stared at me. Then she went on to eating...she was crunching something so I assume she was eating nuts.
 
Look at those big brown eyes.  So adorable!

Here is the Mama.  Pretty face, and she looks pretty good.
Mama just went on down over the hill and finally the baby took off following her. So I drove on down the trail and low and behold what do you know another.....

 
Look at the difference in color between this one and the mom above.
I came out onto the road and in front of the Amphitheater there stood a mom with twins. I always wonder if these are ones I photographed when we first arrived. No way to know as there were several moms in here with twins. I would bet these two are a boy and girl as one is so much bigger than the other.

"Hey, we know you."  Mom apparently does too look how unconcerned she is.
The leaves starting to turn in the back ground make a pretty contrast. 

 Down at the beach area these Turkey Buzzards were flying around and one landed in a tree. This would make a good Halloween picture wouldn't it?

"Mom and Dad said we send hugs and best wishes, from Hardin Ridge."

3 comments:

  1. Love the puppies new coats!! Your photos are awesome, seems our deer are more skittish, I don't get may shots of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell Cooper and Effie they look adorable in their new sweaters :) The leaves down there are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mickey & Kevin Cougill lSeptember 30, 2012 at 6:23 AM

    Tammy you have done just a beautiful job with this blog...like a diary in "olden" days but soooooo much cooler.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I love reading them, they make me feel
like I get to know each of you personally. Please keep them coming.......